Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Orange Bowl Regatta Report by Bella Casaretto




Orange Bowl Regatta Report by Bella Casaretto

I had sailed my first Orange Bowl as a 9 year old in White Fleet.  This was my fourth Orange Bowl now as a 12 year old in Blue Fleet.  My first day racing I had strong finishes with a 1st, 3rd and 2nd- conditions felt good.  I knew after that first day of racing that I had a real chance of winning Orange Bowl. Last year I was close, finishing 3rd Overall in RWB and I knew I had worked hard this year improving my technique so it could happen.  The LYC Christmas Clinic with Coaches Lucas Calabrese, Christopher Williford, Pili Calabrese and Arthur Blodgett really helped me familiarize myself with the venue and racing conditions for Orange Bowl as it had been probably 6 months since I had sailed an Opti in those waters.  My LYC coaches Lucas and Christopher told me that sometimes the hardest part of competing is believing you can win. Coach Christopher (and Duncan) and I had come close at Nationals two years ago in California where I had finished 2nd Overall.  I would think back to those days and knew that I was a much better sailor today and didn't feel the same nerves I did when I was younger. It was my time to win and I knew it.  International regattas give a lot of trophies so I was awarded the 2015 Orange Bowl Int'l Youth Regatta CRYC Perpetual Trophy, First Overall RWB, Top Local Sailor and Top Girl.  I was proud to know that I was only the second girl to ever win OB, the first and last was Stephanie Roble in 2003. I am looking forward to my next big international regatta in Mar Del Plata, Argentina in February where I hope to improve on last year's results (18th Overall, Top Junior, 3rd Girl) and then onto the Asian Championship in Sri Lanka with my LYC teammates Justin and Mitchell Callahan.  I am very thankful to my parents for all their support and to my coaches and team for pushing me. I hope to continue to improve my sailing abilities by working hard and make LYC proud. 

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Bella! You are such an inspiration to your LYC teammates & all Opti sailors. LYC is proud of you! It IS your time to win: All the best in Argentina, Sri Lanka & beyond!

    ReplyDelete